Quality Dental NHS Dentist Fulham is happy to announce that most dental procedures can go ahead at the practice for those patients taking warfarin.
If you require a surgical procedure (for example, an extraction) the following will need to take place:
- Ensure you make an appropriate appointment at your Quality Dental NHS Dentist Fulham reception, and then remember to make an INR appointment between 24 and 48 hours prior to your dentist appointment.
- Your warfarin clinic book must be brought with you, and it must be signed in order for any treatment to be carried out.
- If you have a reading over 4.0, your dentist appointment will have to be immediately cancelled and rearranged when a more normal level is reached. This will have to happen within a month, or else the course of treatment may have to be cancelled.
- If possible, make your dentist appointment between Tuesday and Friday, and make sure they are booked for the morning. This is in order to ensure a current INR reading, and to guarantee a full day off after the procedure just in case of any problems arising.
- You are responsible for ensuring your appointment is made within 24 hours of your latest INR reading. If this isn’t possible, appointments will have to cancelled immediately.
Before, During and After a Procedure
- Make sure you have a sizeable breakfast before your appointment, but refrain from caffeinated coffee or tea.
- Come to your appointment with someone who can help you get back home.
- Do not cycle or drive to your appointment.
- Avoid any strenuous activity for at least 24 hours following your procedure.
- Your NHS Fulham Dentist will instruct you to sit in the waiting room for as long as it takes for any bleeding to cease. Your dentist will only discharge you once they are satisfied it has stopped. Should you not wish to stay and leave (against the advice of your dentist), you will need to sign a self discharge form.
- Ensure that you follow the advice sheet your dentist provides for post extractions.
- Should you have any questions, Quality Dental Fulham will be only too happy to assist you.